Friday, July 6, 2012

Room to dance!


Room To Dance!

In the words of the great Lee Ann Womack
“ I hope you dance!”


Dancing alone in the privacy of one’s living room, kitchen, wherever, is one of life’s great joys, but only if you have space! Hand’s up how many of us have bruises, scrapes, stubbed toes thanks to our cluttered homes? I will put my hand up to being a one time pack rat, a gatherer of things that might be useful one day, gifts that, although not to my taste, I had to have on display, seasonal decor that just gathered dust!
            That all changed for me the last time we moved houses. After watching several of those home shows, you know, the ones where a professional comes into a sellers home and basically takes everything out in order to sell it, I decided to take the bull by the horns and stage my own home. Trust me, you don’t realize how much “stuff” you have until you start to seriously clean out ! I became a woman possessed!
            I used the “ if it’s not valuable , a family heirloom,or I haven’t used it in 2 years, it’s outa here!” mantra, and suddenly realized this was going to be a huge task!


            Long story short – two garages of charity donations, a medium sized dumpster, and more than a few items left at the end of the driveway “ free please take” I finally had a house , barn and yard that was clutter free and looking fabulous! Our realtor was impressed, and my hard work paid off, as we got our asking price!
            Bonus – packing to move was so much easier!!
Strangely, even though I thought I had culled all useless objects, I still had a massive pile of unwanted/un-needed items once we unpacked at the new place! Go figure!

Now I have a uncluttered, dance-able home, one which feels calm, peaceful and spacious!  Although most of us aren’t up to the level of TV’s” Hoarders”,  digging in and un-cluttering can be a rewarding and mentally healthy activity! Go ahead, give it a go! Having issues parting with your “crap”? Ask a friend to cast an unemotional eye over your stuff…or call me!!

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack / Mark D. Sanders and Tia Sillers

No comments:

Post a Comment